Can we talk about household favorites for a minute? Is there a certain dish you make often because your whole family just LOVES it? There’s definitely a few dishes that make their way through the dinner rotation more than once but the one meal that I’m asked to make constantly (often times 3 requests a week!) is BBQ popcorn chicken. The fiancé could eat BBQ popcorn chicken every day for the rest of his life and die happily, with a belly full of it. If you’re looking for something new to make for dinner tonight, give this recipe a try. I promise you your loved ones will ask for more!
Mix the flour and seasonings together in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs together and then add the chicken pieces. Incorporate thoroughly so all of the chicken is coated with the egg mixture.
In batches, fry the chicken pieces in hot oil until crispy and golden brown.
Put the chicken onto a large baking sheet covered in paper towels to drain the oil. Crunchy goodness!
Coat the fried chicken bites in your favorite BBQ sauce (we love Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce) and toss so that each piece is coated nicely. Pop them in the oven and let broil until the BBQ sauce thickens and caramelizes onto the chicken. Voila! I like to serve this with loaded mashed potatoes and a veggie such as corn on the cob or steamed broccoli. My family eats it all up and it’s rare for there to be leftovers. Please give it a try and if you do, take pictures and drop them in the comments below! I would love to see how it turned out for you and to hear about how your fambam loved it 🙂
I know I haven’t been posting a lot, and I am so sorry! I have been tremendously busy, and I’ve been brainstorming on what I want to do for my next giveaway. Please be patient with me and keep checking back. I appreciate it more than you know <3
BBQ Popcorn Chicken
For the chicken-
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4-5 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 3-4 cups oil for frying
- 1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (my family likes Sweet Baby Ray’s Original BBQ Sauce)
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and sift together thoroughly; set aside. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs and add the chicken pieces, mixing well to ensure all the chicken is coated. Add the oil to a large, deep skillet and heat. (You’ll know the oil is hot enough it you drop a pinch of flour in it and it sizzles instantly.) While the oil is heating up, use a fork to put the chicken bites, piece by piece, into the bowl with the flour mixture, turning it around to coat it completely. Do this in batches of about 10-15 so that too much egg doesn’t make it’s way into the flour mixture to ensure the chicken bites stay dry and coated. In batches, fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil until they are golden brown. Using a slotted spatula, remove the chicken from the oil and place on a large baking sheet covered in paper towels to drain. Repeat until all of the chicken is cooked. Preheat the oven to BROIL. Remove the paper towels and discard. Coat the chicken pieces in the BBQ sauce, mixing them around until they are all coated evenly in the sauce. Once the oven is hot, broil the chicken for about 5 minutes, or until the BBQ sauce thickens and caramelizes onto the pieces. Serve with your favorite sides.
**Note~ Some of these measurements and times are guesstimations. I’ve been making this recipe for years and have gotten into the habit of not measuring anything. If you feel something needs a little more or a little less, please feel free to tweak the recipe to whatever your heart desires.